Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An early start



I was up early this morning - unusual for me but I got to work piecing my bright strings. Since I was starting with fat quarters for this quilt rather than true strings, I'm cutting my strings from rectangles as show in the book. I have a few more sets to sew and then I'll be able to start assembling my rows. I really like this technique - you'll find it in a lot of books. I think the first time I came across it was in Jan Mullen's book Cut-Loose Quilts: Stack, Slice, Switch and Sew but Gwen Marston also uses the same technique in her book Liberated String Quilts .



I also finished up the quilting on the 9 Patch this morning. I used the BF template again and if you look at the (L) side of the quilt the edge looks incomplete. There was not room for another arc so once the quilt is bound it won't look like I forgot to quilt to the edge.

12 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

Love the 9-patches... Why didn't I knwo about that Jan Mullen book? HMMM

Marla said...

As I said before, love the BF quilt design. Don'tcha also love the 360 mat!

bingo~bonnie said...

Looks like you are breaking in that new BF template just fine ;) Currious to see what you use to bind this 9 patch with -scrappy perhaps? ~Bonnie

Jan Mac said...

I love the 9 patch and can't wait to see the bright string blocks. You're on a roll!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

baptist fans look good on every quilt, I think. Great job, wish I had a second bedroom to take over...

Rebecca

Eileen said...

Don't you love that template? I'd use it on everything if I thought enough people would pay me for it, lol.
I have a quilt coming up that I'm going to use it on.
The apartment is really coming along, Mary.

Laurie said...

Mary,
You sure have been busy!!! I'm glad you are loving your BF template! The Circle Lord is such a user friendly tool for longarmers!
Hugs
Laurie

Anonymous said...

The 9-patch is lovely and the BF suit it really well!

KC Quilter said...

Wow! Another beauty by you, Mary!!! I love that baptist fan quilting and am anxious to use it on one of my quilts--only I don't have a longarm :( Wonder if I can do it with my Bernie....

Carol said...

Great quilt Mary...the BF sure adds to it. PERFECT!

Anonymous said...

Your 9 patch is absolutely beautiful and the BF is one of my favourite designs !