Thursday, August 02, 2007

If bad things happen in 3's I should stay in bed today


Thank you all for your emails and concern. Not only are Keith and I fine but no one at his company was on the bridge or affected by the tragedy personally.

If my evening wasn't stressful enough, after finally falling asleep at 4AM, the fire alarm in our building went off. Keith and I scrambled for clothes, grabbed Chesty, and ran down 4 flights of stairs. Luckily we were only out of the building for 15-20 minutes but my worst nightmare is an alarm going off during the winter, at night, with Keith out of town. The alarm was piercing and poor Chesty was traumatized both by the noise and our frantic running around trying to get out of the apartment.

I was trying to explain to my Mom last night about Minneapolis and how the Mississippi runs right through the town. That there are multiple bridges that cross it and people are constantly back and forth on foot, bikes, and in cars.

The bridge that collapsed is just down the river from these that Keith and I go across on our walks. The news report last night mentioned that people standing on the Stone Arch Bridge actually saw the bridge collapse. (The photo of Keith is on the Stone Arch Bridge)



10 comments:

Quiltdivajulie said...

We live near Memphis and completely understand the Mississippi and bridges. I cannot imagine the confusion and chaos in Minneapolis...

I very much enjoy your blog and all of your quilts. Thanks SO much for sharing!!

Anonymous said...

This gives a whole new reason to call our loved ones and tell them how much we love them...you just never know. I am so glad you are safe....my heart aches for those who are dealing with this tragedy on so many different levels.

Pam@
www.pamgwillim.com

meggie said...

We could scarcely believe our eyes when we saw the news on TV. So glad you & yours are ok. What a terrible tragedy for some poor folks.

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Pleased that you are all fine there, I'd stay in bed as well!! Tracey

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Pleased that you are all fine there, I'd stay in bed as well!! Tracey

Joanne said...

Glad to see you're all okay. Did you find out what the fire alarm was about?

Hope today was fine!

Deborah Levy said...

Nah, get up and live your life. What will be will be. When it's our time...oh well.
So how's the quilt coming?? what we've seen so far looks good.

Yvonne said...

Deb's right...live life to the fullest.

Tanya said...

So glad to hear that you're ok. What a heart stopping few hours you must have had without your hubby by your side! Hope Chesty is not too traumatized by the fire alarm too.

Patti said...

I thought of you immediately hwen I heard about the bridge collapse. It never occurred to me you might have been on it - I have total faith that all my friends everywhere are being watched over and cared for. How very awful for your city, and especially for those who lost loved ones. I've not read whether or not they know what caused it.