Tuesday, November 13, 2007

This is a messy process

I've been reading Tonya's Winter Class Blog and while I don't feel like I have time to take from my other tasks to take the class I like the concept. Last night at midnight - after Keith and Chesty went to bed - I decided to play around a little.

A few years ago, we stopped giving presents at Christmas and started making a donation to Habitat for Humanity instead. I like the thought of helping someone get a home of their own rather than buying tons of presents for people who already have more than they need (myself included!).

Here's my little one block quilt showing What Christmas Means to Me. You probably can't see it in this photo but there's the face of a smiling boy in the window.

By the way, I hope it's OK to post the link to the class here. I found it from a link on Tonya's site but I know the blog for the first class was not public.

13 comments:

Gypsy Quilter said...

Love the boy in the window! Great block.

Kim said...

Yes, Mary, I can see the boy in the window. Nice touch. :)

Hedgehog said...

This is a lovely little quilt for the holidays. And a lovely idea, too. I'm a big Habitat person - would love to get into making quilts for families involved someday.

meggie said...

Love that little quilt. The boy looks happy!

Quiltdivajulie said...

Way to go, Mary. We tend to gift to the Heifer Project rather than buy "stuff" and deal with "the mall madness" at the holidays. Love the block and the thoughts behind it!

His Office, My Studio said...

WOW!! You did a great job. You have found the artsy side of quilting.

Elaine Adair said...

Cute, cute, cute!

Deborah Levy said...

OMG!! Are we becoming an art quilter...I think social messages in our work qualifies!!

Love the block (and especially the message) keep pushing your envelope! You're doing great!

Not that your other quilting isn't great..it is. It's just good to keep growing and exploring as you are.

Anonymous said...

Lovely block, and very cute boy in the window. We usually give goats and pigs etc to World Vision on behalf of our family instead of gifts, well the kids still get gifts, but the adults get sheep.

Tonya Ricucci said...

gorgeous little quilt, I love the colors. you are very generous to make donations for gifts.
the class is open for anyone to view or take, so thanks for posting the link.

Helen in the UK said...

What a great little quilt and a lovely sentiment :)

Clare said...

What a lovely idea and a sweet little quilt. It does get messy, but isn't it great!

Tanya said...

Your little quilt is wonderful. May I copy your idea? Just a little house (I can do those now!) and the embroidery around it so simple but striking! I'm still working on Tonya's class quilt so didn't feel I should join another class but I guess I'll go check it out now.