Saturday, August 09, 2008

July's questions

I thought these were interesting and I hope others will post their answers in addition to emailing them to Judy.

1. Why do you quilt?

It feeds my creative self, it allows me to help those in need, it gives a purpose to my days now that I'm not working.

2. How long have you been quilting?

8 years exactly - I hand pieced my first quilt in August 2008. (Didn't own a sewing machine and had never used one)

3. What made you start quilting?

I'd seen a quilt using photographs and wanted my Mom to work with me on a family memory quilt - she refused to make the quilt so I had to learn. Still haven't made that quilt using photographs yet.

4. What sewing machine do you use mostly for piecing?

Elna's Quilter's Dream

5. What machine do you use mostly for quilting?

Gammill Premier Plus

6. If you could have any sewing machine you want -- money isn't an issue -- just get anything you want . . what would you get?

I've been very happy with both the Gammill longarms I've had (had to downsize for my move to MN) but if I bought another one - I'd buy an A-1.

7. When you buy a sewing machine, how long do you expect you'll keep it? Til a newer and bigger and better model comes out? Til the old one refuses to make another stitch?

I've had my Elna for 6+ years and don't really have an urge to trade it; wouldn't have traded my Gammill Classic Plus if I didn't have to downsize so I guess I'm somewhere in between. I have good machines so I don't feel the need for new ones but I doubt I'll wait until they wear out to replace them.

8. On a scale of 1 - 10, how much do you love your stash? (10 means you LOVE it! 1 means you'd get rid of it all today if you could!)

I'd say 8 - I still have a lot of fabric I bought in the first 2 years of quilting that is OK but not great.

9. Why do you have the stash? How did it come about? Why is it the size that it is?

It's pretty large - I like being able to pull everything I need for a quilt from my stash.

10. When we talk about "stashbusting", what are your thoughts? Use every crumb of the stash? Use as much stash as you add? Shop the stash first but don't feel bad if you have to go buy additional fabric for a project? Don't mind buying for a project but not buying just for the purpose of having the fabric . . with no project in mind?

My goal for stashbusting has changed over the last couple years. Initially I didn't want to buy any fabric and I used a fair amount of stash but now my goal is still to use my stash but I'll buy fabric if it really appeals to me and to replenish colors I'm running low on.

Bottom line - I buy less these days but I make sure I have the fabric I need to create the quilts I want to make.



Email me

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Most shocking is that you've only been quilting for 8 years! That puts me to shame!!! I've been doing this for over 20 years and don't have anywhere the output nor the skill that you have! Makes me think that quilting and all that it entails (like color sense, patience, motivation etc) is another God given talent and you sure got a huge share of it!! Just wonderful and an inspiration!

Judy said...

Good answers Mary...now I have a question...Why an A-1? WHat have you learned about them that makes you like them so much...more so I guess than the Gammills or APQS models?