Tuesday, June 12, 2007

More Coins

I finished up my list from Sunday and I'm partially through quilting the Rectangle String quilt.

I decided to load another HeartStrings quilt first and I finished quilting that one this afternoon but I haven't taken a photo yet. I was in too much of a hurry to make a backing and load the 2nd quilt of the day. I usually procrastinate loading quilts and it's unheard of for me to load 2 in one day - I'm very proud of myself!

I also started playing with the layout of the 2nd Chinese Coins quilt from the sections donated by HeartStrings quilters. I thought I had enough of my favorite black fabric to do this but am having to settle for a grayish black in the interest of using my stash whenever possible. The sections sent in were 5.5 inches so I'm cutting these in two - one section is 3.5 inches and the leftover section which is 2 inches will be used for the pieced border. The coins in the drawing are brighter than the ones I'm using too - I might just have to make this quilt again in the future with black and brights.

I saw a photo of a similar quilt somewhere on the web but don't know where. I first saw this type of layout in an antique quilt - maybe in Gwen Marston's book Liberated Strings - that quilt used a red sashing.

I really like the look of the shorter coin sections and with enough coins for 6 or more quilts I want to use different patterns. Feel free to send me links to your favorite Chinese Coins quilts.

I also uploaded two instruction sheets today to the MaryQuilts.com webite - the Off Center 4 Patch backing as requested and the instructions for the easy Chinese Coins version used for this quilt and this one.

5 comments:

The Calico Cat said...

I sent a quick search of Chinese Coin Quilts to your e-mail. (I like scavenger hunts....)

Gail said...

I like this arrangement of coins very much. Thanks again for sharing your patterns with us.

Elaine Adair said...

This is simply beautiful - you have a gift for color and proportion (oh boy, THAT sounds corny but ... ) your work is just lovely.

Patchways said...

Awesome, Mary! I've never quite been a fan of Chinese Coin quilts, but this pattern has converted me. Elaine is right: it's your combination of putting together the right color AND proportion that makes these quilts sing. Thanks for enriching our world (and sharing your great patterns and tips!)

Bettie from Southern Thresholds said...

I LOVE this pattern and you have done an excellent job - love the black also. I started one of these quilts just yesterday, but was not sure of the size until I saw this blog. Thanks so much. Your blog will among my favorites.